Friday, September 23, 2005

Mystery Solved

Have you ever wondered why so many little old ladies like to drive around town with those poodle dogs in their laps? It's bothered me for years, so the other day, in the Harris Teeter parking lot, I spotted one of these ladies and I asked her about it.

Her name was Edna and she had just finished parking her Buick on the sidewalk at the front of the store. A crumpled shopping cart was lodged under the left front wheel and her windshield wipers were going on a sunny day.

This is what she told me: Nobody likes to give up their independence and Edna's hope is that once she is no longer able to drive, Fifi will take the wheel and carry her around town to the grocery store, the doctor's office and the beauty salon.

Now, Fifi had a hacking cough, a raging case of the mange and no opposable thumbs, but I wish her all the best in learning to drive. She can't be any worse than Edna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home